Sunday, October 16, 2011

A Phone's Tale, Part 1

So, as I walked down the 'Fitness trail' near my apartment, talking to my sister on the phone through the bluetooth device, my iPhone "precious" 4 fell to the ground from the great height of 3 feet, nay 2.5 (my low coat pocket was not very far from the ground). But of course, with apple's prize phone, angle is everything. As it touched the ground with the left corner edge, the glass shattered, the front-camera's lens was covered by a milky-white shadow and the touch-screen survived. Any other phone and may be individual parts would be available, may be it would not be expensive, but for a graduate student rapidly going out of work, as the date of the thesis submission draws ever-so-close, $150 was a far-cry from fair price.
After much deliberation with others who had the same butter-fingers problem as I, I decided that the solution lay in wearing a cute dress, asking my husband to wait outside the apple store and going to the geekiest store guy. As it turns out, it doesn't matter. You get a pass the first time. My proverbial charm was as unnecessary as it would have been ineffective. I got my appointment for a possible replacement at 5:45 PM EST on the 10th of October 2011. Why is that important? Because something weird happened.
When the sweet guy at the apple store handed me my new activated iPhone 6:03 PM EST, everything seemed perfect. I was overjoyed that I could save my gelaskin, and that I could now spend $70 on the toughest, sturdiest, yet sleekest iPhone protective shells money can buy (that's what the nice guy at that small store in the mall told me- I'm gullible like that!). I came back home, synched my phone and still everything was normal.
And that day at midnight, my phone spoke to me for the first time...


No comments:

Post a Comment